Friday, September 17, 2010

My Mille Crepe is finally done!!!!


So, five hours of hard labor later (over two evenings) and this crepe cake is done!  I can't believe how many firsts were in this recette for me!  Between making a custard for the first time, using a sieve outside of a paleontology lab for the first time, whipping cream in to soft peaks by hand with a whisk for the first time and making crepes for the first time a few days ago - this is my cake of firsts!

I used the recipe by yvonne following Lady M for this mille crepe with over 20 layers of crepes and have yet to actually use the official cookbook for anything... I wonder how long that will last...

No step by step pictures this time.  I got too caught up in all of the individual steps to take the time to use my iPhone to take any pictures except at the end.

---------- edit ----------


I just tried the cake and it is INCREDIBLY rich and is a merciless assault by cream, sugar and flour.  I would highly recommend making twelve rather than eight servings per cake and to add some kind of fruit, sauce or both.  Chocolate syrup also works well.  It definitely needs some kind of natural sweet.  I had a fig reduction sauce and later some chocolate syrup with mine. MUCH better!

Cumulative Ingredients:  5 cups milk, 9.5 tbsp butter, 12 eggs, 1.5 cups flour, 8.5 tbsp sugar, salt pinch, 1 tbsp vanilla, 1/3 cup cornstarch, 2 cups heavy cream, 3 tbsp Kirsch = $15 estimated costs per cake (not bad considering that it usually sells for around $70-$90)

Supplies Required:  2 saucepans, 3 mixing bowls (large, medium and small), ice, sieve, spatula, pot scraper (to push custard through sieve), measuring cup, measuring spoons, 10" crepe pan (or any non-stick fry pan), cooling rack, spatula (safe for non-stick pans), sifter or fine sieve, ladel

CLICK HERE FOR THE MILLE CREPES RECIPE

7 comments:

  1. Hi, first I've got to say that its amazing how you've been inspired by Yumeiro Patissiere and started making the sweets that they've tried on the show. I just started watching the show too.

    I'm trying to tackle making a Mille Crepe and as I type this, the batter and the creme is cooling in the fridge. I might try to finish it later on tonight.

    I was lost with one of the steps they had for the creme. Is the butter for the creme supposed to be room temperature? The process calls for the creme to be mixed in the bowl over ice then mix in the butter. I wasn't sure if i'm supposed to melt the butter first, let it cool and then add it in.

    Also is the creme supposed to be thick or runny?

    Thank in advance!

    Dee
    http://allineedismycamera.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deney,

    It's nice to know that someone else is following along. =)

    Are you following the official cookbook's third party translation or the recipe I posted from the NY Times? If you're following the more grown up one...

    For the custard that should be in the fridge. Boil the milk and then add the vanilla. Let that cool for ten min while you do the other steps. In a separate saucepan, whisk the eggs, sugar, and cornstarch. On high heat, whisk in your slightly-cooled milk/vanilla mixture to this. Boil for 1-2 min while whisking constantly. You should see it turn in to a yellow thick and creamy custard before you eyes like magic! From here, push it through a sieve in to the bowl you have on ice. While it cools, keep on mixing or folding. When it cools to 140F, fold in your melted butter. Then you should have covered it tightly right up against the custard to prevent a crust from forming and refrigerate it.

    ... I hope that this helps. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for replying.

    Might have to re do the creme.

    Ours was a bit runny and the butter was room temperature/solid state when we mixed it in with the creme.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks again for your help! Here's how mine turned out. Might have cooked the creme a bit longer than I was supposed to. Will try it again this week for a bday party. And maybe add strawberries.

    http://allineedismycamera.blogspot.com/2010/10/mille-crepe.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. That cake is beautiful! I've been stalking this blog for a while. :P This is a really cool project! I've tried to make everything from Yumeiro Patissiere before. I didn't even end up making one thing, I think. ^_^;

    ReplyDelete
  6. i like it... i want to encourage you to make more delicious food.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I watched the show a while ago and now, rewatching it made me wanna try the recipes! I'm glad I found this site, even if it's only now, it really helps me. Also your Mille Crêpe looks delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think or even send me links to other recipes for these sweets!