Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Okay - I cheated a little... as long as I didn't bake right?

I know that I wasn't supposed to go in the kitchen at all until the LSAT on Saturday, October 9, but I cheated a little before then...

---------- October 1, 2010 ---------


I used a frozen instant waffle and Jell-O brand chocolate mousse... look familiar (episode 26)?  Maybe after I get my own waffle iron and learn how to make a good chocolate mousse I'll attempt to make this from scratch.  I attempted a mousse a few years ago and it was a disaster.  This was just a quick study snack.

---------- October 3, 2010 ----------


I went on a culinary odyssey trying to find matcha, chestnuts, rose water, and couverture.   I eventually got a tip from my coworker that I should try Whole Foods for the chestnuts.  I usually avoid that place since it costs so much money and is over-hyped, but I decided to bite the bullet and go.  Chestnuts won't be in season anywhere for another few weeks, so I decided that my mont blanc would have to wait.  In the mean while, I was finally able to find some matcha ($33.79 for 2.8oz) and rose water ($2.69 for 10floz).  Too bad strawberries are out of season, or I could have completed the flavors for all of team Ichigo!  I ran out of money before I could get the couverture though... they have a great selection actually and I FINALLY found caster sugar (needed for lots of French pastries)!

---------- October 4, 2010 ----------


I was able to borrow some books that I ordered using UCSD's Interlibrary Loan Program... so here are the books that I've been perusing on my study breaks and getting ideas from.  I have to say that I've been extremely and incessantly tempted to make pastries that don't appear at all in the show and am wondering how that would be received since it strays so far from the theme of this blog.

(borrowed from Uncle Eric)

(borrowed from the University of Nevada, Las Vegas)

(borrowed from CSU Pomona)

(borrowed from UC Davis)

(borrowed from UC Davis)

(Borrowed from Mom. Last and least... the book is not that great.)

2 comments:

  1. C&H sells baker's sugar (the same consistency as caster's sugar, and easier to find, unless you happen to live in New Jersey....), and it can be found in the regular grocery store. I use it for absolutely everything I bake.

    And I have a copy of Friberg's book, which I love. If only I had more time to try to make all the recipes in it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Flori, but I discovered it on Tuesday and have already used it for both meringues and coffee crumble cake. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think or even send me links to other recipes for these sweets!